1984 300 i6 manual trans - removing the oil pan to reseal

1984 300 i6 manual trans - removing the oil pan to reseal

Jon M
Hi folks,

I'm gearing up to take on the fabled M5OD swap, which may be a post unto itself before I get halfway through with it. But it occurs to me that this might be a good opportunity to reseal my oil pan which has been leaking slowly.

I've never removed the oil pan but YouTube and the various Ford truck forums are awash with complaints about how difficult it can be and that lifting the engine is required. But I'm under the truck looking at this thing, and it occurs to me that with the original Clark transmission and bell housing removed I might be able to slip that oil pan off without loosening the engine mounts or lifting anything. Has anyone taken this approach successfully?

Second to this, I'm looking at the available seals for this engine and I'm not exactly thrilled with what I'm seeing, is there any problem with just using RTV and calling it a day? and advice on successfully applying RTV would be appreciated.
Jon
1984 Single Cab F150 300/4.9L i6 named 'Dolly'
4X4 - rear 3.55 limited slip, Dana 44
and nothing fancy ... yet.

Re: 1984 300 i6 manual trans - removing the oil pan to reseal

grumpin
I've never done it, but the oil pump pickup in the sump might keep you from pulling the pan out.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona

Re: 1984 300 i6 manual trans - removing the oil pan to reseal

mat in tn
I have used the original style cork /rubber gasket sets for years and have had excellent results. when building a clean engine on the stand. where I can wipe every surface with acetone before install and rtv in the joints works great. however, in situ the environment is different. oil keeps dripping, hard to clean while laying upside down etc. this is the perfect case for the silicone one-piece blue gasket. it comes with the snap ups to give you a hand. if you were to attempt using just the rtv. be warned, get it perfect the first time! you will play hell getting off next time.
I did mine 8-9 months ago, but I too did a transmission swap and I do not remember lifting the engine at all. the front of the oil pan has a generous dip where it mates to the timing cover and the gasket is unique. but the greatest clearance hurdle for me was  avoided by having the separator plate, flex plate removed also

Re: 1984 300 i6 manual trans - removing the oil pan to reseal

Rockhauler
Sorry don't remember if I had to lift the motor or not when I resealed a 300 cyl years ago for my brother. He had resealed the pan but still had a leak I found the gasket had slipped into the crankcase at the rear under the crankshaft. Its hard to see this area with the flywheel still mounted so use care when lifting the pan into place.

Paul
Paul
1930 Ford Coupe basketcase
1985 F250 Ext Cab Lariat 6.9 diesel 4 speed
1986 F150 Ext Cab short box Lariat 4x4 300 6cyl 4 speed with overdrive