1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

mat in tn
try bronco graveyard also and possibly NPD

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

Tony69
unfortunately non of them have it  I was thinking maybe a different style one would fit but as mentioned earlier I kinda can't afford buying multiple units and then sending them back.

I have one in the f150 but its a single line and two prong connector style. I wonder if I could somehow scavenge and modify it, running external pump to make it work. These tanks are such pain in the ass but its nice to have two...
Tony, the Polish guy.
1986 F250 superCab XLT lariat, 460, dual tanks, Holley 4160
1985 F150 superCab XL, 351 H.O., dual tanks, edelbroken 1906
2002 E150 XLT, 5.4 triton

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

kramttocs
Administrator
Prepare your wallet

https://www.ebay.com/itm/296350194998?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=qxlfydLMS1a&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=YiQv5p8oTKK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yikes!  Glad I changed over to 96 tanks and units.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

Ifitaintbroke
Alright folks, time for me to chip in. I spent a lot of time back in '20 looking for this exact same unit. I've come to the conclusion that they do not exist in the aftermarket and possibly never existed as a replacementpart from Ford. Here's why: in my catalog at work (this problem is actually how I landed my job at a parts store) the ONLY rear sending unit listed is for a plastic tank. Mine, as the OP's, is steel. 87 had a steel tank. The same tank. I could not find a 86 rear unit for a steel tank anywhere, so I tried one for an 87 as it is essentially the same tank. Here's the problem: in 87 Ford changed the ohm range in the gauge, and therefore the sender. My gauge would read backwards, as Jim's does with his 87 gauge and pre-87 sending units. Apparently, as Ford is apt to do, they used some 87 tanks in 86 trucks, and made a "custom" sending unit for them using essentially an 87 sender with an 86 reostat. This piece is a true unicorn. That's my theory anyway. To put it short: if you are looking for this unit, you are wasting your time.

As for the unit listed on Ebay above, it very well could be the same one, making me wrong. It certainly looks like my old sender. My concern is, what is the ohm range? It's probably the 87 and up range.

Could be wrong though!
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

kramttocs
Administrator
Hmm interesting idea. I will say it took awhile for one to pop up (I bought it not too long ago for a fraction of this current price) and was surprised to see another one show up so soon.
So based on that I would definitely put them in the 'few and far between' category.

If you want and can tell me what test you want me to do, happy to grab my multimeter and check the nos one I have.

South Georgia.

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

kramttocs
Administrator
9.2 to 69.

Matches the pre-87:

https://faq.speedhut.com/kb/fuel-level-gauge-faqs/what-are-some-typical-oem-fuel-level-sender-ohm-resistance-o-ranges

So looks like just a not very common replacement part. While the price of the current ebay listing is a bit crazy, for someone wanting a drop in replacement, it's an option at least.