84 351 leaking Radiator drain plug

Gimmeagig
I'm not a serious mechanic like many of you guys. So I hope this question is not too stupid.
The drain plug on the bottom of my radiator is dripping around the edge. It seems kind of loose. I tried to tighten it but it keeps spinning with not too much resistance. Is that plug supposed to come all the way out to drain the radiator? Or is it a directional on off plug like a fuel shutoff on a lawn mower?
What is the fix for this?
1985 (March) F150
351 HO
Edelbrock carb
Shortbed

Re: 84 351 leaking Radiator drain plug

viven44
I forget this every time but it’s reverse threaded so it’s tight when it’s all the way out.

Can you post a picture of that plug ?
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project

Re: 84 351 leaking Radiator drain plug

mat in tn
I'm pretty sure it is normal, right-hand threads. meaning ccw to loosen(open) however if you are having  a leaking issue and it will not tighten in clockwise then it may well be stripped. these have plastic end tanks and plastic drain plugs. some aftermarket ones have have a tether made onto the plug and these are often a softer plastic which can strip easier. there should also be an o ring . its possible it just needs an o ring.

Re: 84 351 leaking Radiator drain plug

Gimmeagig
This post was updated on .
The plug is definitely plastic, the bottom of the tank may be as well.there is a small nipple that is pointing horizontally away from the tank.Size of a fuel line Looks like it might have had a short drain hose connected to it. Right now I have the the flat handle of the drain plug horizontally in line with that drain nipple. Seems like that should not seal it but it does. I just don't know if that drain plug is designed to open and close like a shutoff valve in a fuel line... I'm reluctant to mess with it not knowing how it is supposed to be operated and taking the risk of having it pop out while I'm driving. Can't take a picture. It is too dark now.But I found this on the web I'm pretty sure that's it. Not threaded into the body of the radiator, But the shutoff is somehow integrated it the plug and it is treaded. But how is that part held and kept from leaking or popping out of it's socket? You're right it probably is the O Ring. How do I get it out? I'm afraid to just yank on it....I guess I will have to drain the cooling system to replace it.
1985 (March) F150
351 HO
Edelbrock carb
Shortbed

Re: 84 351 leaking Radiator drain plug

mat in tn
the one picture is most likely not a ford part. at least not from 1985. it may be for a replacement radiator though. making answers harder to nail down. the 3/8' nipple is there to put a piece of hose on and reach into the wheel well and into a bucket. this is where I myself get frustrated. I do not like a mess in my shop no matter how hard it is to avoid. the chance of catching all coolant this way is small. then there is the dripping from around the handle which seems to always catch a frame rail and drip 3 feet away and along the way. then there is the slow drain (if it is not clogged completely).  the reality is that you may need to remove the radiator in order to properly assess. wait till you are ready to upgrade radiator or bite the bullet. just my 2p.