Bad News...

Powerman5K

Unfortunately, about a week ago, I was in an accident. Needless to say, I am more than disappointed.

Long story short, a lady was stopped on the highway and actually reversed her car (in the lane) to get to a turn off. Several cars were able to swerve/avoid/stop before hitting her. I was not so lucky. Traveling 60mph with manual brakes did not give me much chance. Truck has been totaled.

Good news is that it did not bend the frame. I am going to retain possession of the truck with a "salvaged title." I can rebuild it. It's just frustrating. Will basically need a new front clip. Hopefully the radiator is repairable. Radiator might be the biggest challenge.
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.

Re: Bad News...

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Man, that is a BUMMER!  So sorry.  I'd be very upset, which may be why it has taken you a week to post?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: Bad News...

essmaker
Oh wow! Sorry to hear it. Glad you're OK and it wasn't any worse. A project ahead for sure.
Erik

1985 F150 4x4 - 351W, C6 - work in progress

Re: Bad News...

salans7
I strongly suggest you purchase a dash cam and install it in your vehicles. You can easily get the blame in an accident like that unless you can prove (via the dash cam) that the other driver was doing something boneheaded to cause the accident.

Re: Bad News...

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My Pormido front/rear camera system is also a dash cam.  About $250.

Luckily there was a witness that got the person's license plate. The person that was reversing on the highway left when the crash happened. There was no damage to her car. Troopers were going to try to track her down.
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.

Re: Bad News...

BigBrother-84
Oh boy, what a story!
Happy for you that the frame wasn't bent.  I suppose you'll need a hood, left fender, left beam bezel and flasher, side marker, bumper.
Hopefully the inner fender and the washer fluid reservoir will be ok, an so for the radiator support and the radiator itself.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.

Re: Bad News...

ratdude747
It'll buff.

Ok, maybe not. But it is fixable with enough parts.

Here's my adventure with similar damage due to a run-in with bambi:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Deer-killed-my-Bullnose-Mangled-the-front-td103398.html#a103408

Wasn't totaled since I had liability-only insurance (and it was a deer, not another driver).

Best of luck on the rebuild. It looks like a nightmare now but you'll get it. And when you're done, you'll be very proud of your work!
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).

Re: Bad News...

Powerman5K
Thanks for this link. It will help a lot with my rebuild. Right now, I'm just waiting to get the truck back from insurance. Then I'll do a tare down to see what needs replaced.
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.

Re: Bad News...

FuzzFace2
Powerman5K wrote
Thanks for this link. It will help a lot with my rebuild. Right now, I'm just waiting to get the truck back from insurance. Then I'll do a tare down to see what needs replaced.
If you dont mind who do you have for insurance?
If one of the classic car ones was it agreed value?
If you dont want to say that is OK too.

BTW yes I do have classic insurance and agreed value and I get to keep the truck if anything happens to it.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100

Re: Bad News...

viven44
Assume you are with Hagerty and have the "Cherished Salvage" coverage. I had that too but got rid of it because it would only be of use if it was my fault and gets questionable if there is 50-50 responsibility. It's not a bad deal though if you are in possession of a high $ vehicle with sentimental value.
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project

Re: Bad News...

viven44
No frame damage is a big deal. I have a parts truck I bought off salvage auction which had less damage than yours strictly based on pictures but it has frame damage. The part of the frame that ties into the front bumper is tweaked to the point where it is not possible to open the door fully on the other side
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project

Re: Bad News...

ArdWrknTrk
Man!
I'm so sorry to see this. You have a beautiful truck. 🤩
You just painted it in the fall, right?

But I know that even a bent fender is gonna total one of these trucks.
They're just not worth much unless you have agreed value insurance and all the receipts.
I tow wrecks, from hoopdies to Lambos.

I'm putting a bunch of parts in my rear axle.
My truck is assessed and taxed at $400. (Like 1/4 the cost of parts for a 10.25" rebuild)
It's a 37 year old pickup with over 450,000 miles.

People that flee the scene should go to jail and never see a license again.
I encounter it multiple times a week.
Cops should be on that crap, instead of hassling some panhandler at the ramp.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Bad News...

Powerman5K
I have USAA insurance and so far, they are not screwing me. Still time for that to change though. They actually towed it away to assess the damage and value. I'm shocked that they gave be a value of $7000 for it. If I were to surrender the car to them, this would be the check they cut me. Since I'm keeping it, they are going to subtract the value they would get at auction for it and send me the difference. Problem is, they don't know how to assess an auction value since it predates the 17 digit VIN. Fingers crossed, I don't get hosed too bad.

Off-Topic: there is a catch with Hagerty in that (if memory serves) there are very strict rules on vehicle usage. Mainly, it's no good if the vehicle is anything more than a toy, investment, or show vehicle. Since I daily drive mine, no good. Maybe not as restrictive as "historic" license plate rules (at least in IN), but something to consider.

Bit of an update: USAA is totaling the truck but allowing me to retain ownership. My new cash settlement is $4600 and I keep the truck. I'm pleased as I don't think it will take much more than $2k to rebuild. After I fix it, I can apply for a rebuilt title from my state. Truck should be returning to me later today.
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.

Re: Bad News...

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That is good news.  Bummer you have to do the work, but at least you'll have the money to do it with.