Building a high shelf in my shop

Clutch47

Picture from September.  Building my last shop, and this post is about the high shelf I'm putting along the back wall just above those windows. It will be 40' in length and around 28" deep.

Built 7 of these from 2x2 thin wall square tubing and leftover 2x1/4 flat cold rolled.
My friend wanted to do the welding this time and he added the round tubing pieces.
They will be bolted to the 6x8 posts that are behind the steel panels.

Dropped them all off at my friends powdercoat business today. I've been doing business with him for 26 years. It's a super busy time of year for him.. he's working 7 days a week now.
He did 400+ race car frames LAST year.

We agreed on the best matching sample as compared to the Ford blue oval on his grille.

http://www.custommetalcoating.com/
All Ford all the time.
83 F-100 300-6/C6
69 Merc Montego convertible 393 4V Cleveland
86 LTD Crown Vic 2 door sedan 347 AOD
03 F-250 SD 5.4 2V

Re: Building a high shelf in my shop

BigBrother-84
Wow, that is strong support!

I suppose you plan to put some load on this 28" inches shelf...
Don't forget to strongly anchor the supports to the wall!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.

Re: Building a high shelf in my shop

ArdWrknTrk
What are you going to do with a shelf that deep?

'Stuff' gets lost at the back..
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Building a high shelf in my shop

Clutch47
Agreed. I'll have 20" of available height in back and 31" in front so my plan is to be able to put parts in specific hard plastic storage containers and not have them hanging over. I may put a light trolley or track along the ceiling with an electric winch overhead to help lift things up there too.
   Time will tell.
The bottom side will provide lights above my work bench and an easy place to mount and hide air lines overhead with drops at each end.
03 F-250 SD 5.4 2V

Re: Building a high shelf in my shop

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
For totes -endwise- with a library ladder it makes total sense!
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Building a high shelf in my shop

Clutch47
My thinking almost exactly. The library style ladder might not fly. We shall see.
I have to be very careful doing everything as  effects from a hemorrhagic stroke 7 years ago left me with wacko balance and a left side impairment that is kinda like having a smart half and a dumb half.
My dog takes total advantage of my dumb side when we rough house.. 🤣🤣

03 F-250 SD 5.4 2V

Re: Building a high shelf in my shop

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm glad to see you've come back so well!

They tried putting me on ssris a few years ago.
I had vertigo and nausea like you couldn't believe, even after 6mo.

Ladders, or behind the wheel of a vehicle, are not good places to be.  😳
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Building a high shelf in my shop

Clutch47
I connected with a very unconventional neuro-physical therapist that helped me incredibly. I tell her she saved my life.
  She does vertigo treatment and I've seen her fix people in 3 visits.
   Hopefully you've gotten a handle on it.
All Ford all the time.
83 F-100 300-6/C6
69 Merc Montego convertible 393 4V Cleveland
86 LTD Crown Vic 2 door sedan 347 AOD
03 F-250 SD 5.4 2V

Re: Building a high shelf in my shop

essmaker
I love the light in the shop. Looks like you're going to have a great place to spend time.

The strength of your shelving...you'll be able to use it to anchor a engine chain fall 😀
Erik

1985 F150 4x4 - 351W, C6 - work in progress

Re: Building a high shelf in my shop

ArdWrknTrk
Yeah, I stopped taking their mind control drugs.
I don't get vertigo or the kaleidescope visuals any more.
I also don't feel like slaughtering everyone I see.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Building a high shelf in my shop

Clutch47
I'm looking forward to the strength of this project.

Not sure if I want to use conventional lag bolts or the construction lag/screws. There will be 4 in each brace connecting them to the 6x8 posts and maybe one on each end too. Depends how it comes together.
  Those torx head construction (?) Screws really impress me.
03 F-250 SD 5.4 2V

Re: Building a high shelf in my shop

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yeah, metallurgy and the tools to drive them have come a LONG way.
I like Ledgerlok and GRK

mat in tn
glad to hear that you don't feel like slaughtering everyone you see. that could be damaging to your social credit score.

Re: Building a high shelf in my shop

Clutch47
I've gotta agree.
Credit scores are important in today's arena, not to mention the clean up costs from repeated slaughtering could prove to be deep. Hence the need for credit.

All jokes aside, it's good to hear people getting out from under the weight of medication.