E4OD options for 6.9l diesel

Re: E4OD options for 6.9l diesel

mat in tn
I think what matters most at this time is that you currently have a tcm compatible for when you have a remanufactured e4od. and will have proper setup when it gets installed.

Re: E4OD options for 6.9l diesel

Ifitaintbroke
I'm sure you are most concerned about long term reliability, but with the cost of a reman, wouldn't a good salvage unit make sense? Then, you'd have money left over for installing it and anything else you'll need. Just a thought.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.

Re: E4OD options for 6.9l diesel

kcinga
I did check salvage, briefly. But, keep in mind that I am restricted to’89-91 E4OD for a 7.3l diesel. The local salvage here didn’t have it. Even if they did, I would want a pretty good warranty to go with it, which I’m not even sure they offer. In the end, I got a remanufactured for $2,195 with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. I was okay with that. I’m not saying it’s the cheapest option, but I did like the warranty. Honestly, I just want these problems behind me. I invested money in a controller and the labor to finagle the electronics (since I didn’t have the NSS from the C6). Last thing I want is a solution that has to be redone 3 months down the road.

Re: E4OD options for 6.9l diesel

mat in tn
that is a reasonable compromise. the cost is not cheap but not horrible. Are they installing it and setting up the tcm? the warranty is a big deal. and if the warranty requires a certified installer for it and the tcm then it is best.

Re: E4OD options for 6.9l diesel

kcinga
No, they ship it to a local shop and mechanics there install. My current E4OD is already hooked up to tcm. As far as cost goes, I was seriously investigating rebuilding the transmission myself, and that would‘ve been the cheapest option. But, in the end, my Dad was suggesting to let professionals handle it and get a warranty. I had enough issues dropping and installing a C4 in F100 I used to have. Seems I needed an extra set of hands to help line it up, lift, and get bolts in. It was a hassle. And, this is a much larger transmission. If any issues, I’d have to tear it all back down and start over again.

Re: E4OD options for 6.9l diesel

mat in tn
the e4od is basically twice the c4 in both size and weight. and it is not as simple in design. rebuilding it yourself may still cost a good bit especially if you get into trouble and need to go pro eventually. I think you are on the right path. I like the warranty.