Fuel pump relays

Jcomeau85
Where are all the relays for the fuel system.  I have a 1986 F250 carb 460 manual trans

Re: Fuel pump relays

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Have a look in the 1986 EVTM.

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/1986-evtm.html
Section 18 (pg 95-101) is for the selector and senders
Section 19 (pg 102-107) is the safeties/crank bypass and pump control.
Grounds can be found somewhere in the front of the book.

What problem do you have?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel pump relays

Jcomeau85
Rear tank shows empty.  Tank is physically full.  Fuel won’t pump.

Re: Fuel pump relays

85lebaront2
Administrator
That is a somewhat complex system. one item on the 1986 system, the selector switch changes the big motor driven 6 port valve on the frame near the front tank. The system has two power sources, one is a blue wire with a fusible link that is fed power when cranking the engine from a small stud on the starter relay, the second source and the one that keeps power to the system is an oil pressure switch in the back of the block behind the intake manifold.

Here is a link to the 1986 EVTM on the site: https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/1986-evtm.html

If you take the blue wire off it's stud and touch it to the battery stud on the starter relay, you should be able to hear the selected pump run. Set the selector switch to front or rear and try that test, first if the tank selection was changed, you should hear a "clunk" from the selector valve and a faint whirring noise from the pump followed by a hissing sound from the vapor seperator in the fuel line near the carburetor.

I would try both directions when checking, front and rear tank.

Good luck with it and feel free to ask more if needed.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Re: Fuel pump relays

viven44
I have never thought about testing them that way. Take advantage of the "hot when cranking" loop.. Nice tip!!
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project

Re: Fuel pump relays

85lebaront2
Administrator
I came very close to adding a "prime" push button switch to Darth as he wasn't a daily driver and usually needed the carburetor filled for a cold start. Now that I have the MAF/SEFI system, it isn't needed.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Re: Fuel pump relays

ArdWrknTrk
But the front tank reads correctly and will drive the truck?

The problem is either the switch valve, or beyond, from what you've just told  me

Try jumpering around the valve, and see if the rear tank works.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel pump relays

Jcomeau85
Front tank works.    On the documentation from that link at the top it seems like the selector relay is LH corner behind dash???

Re: Fuel pump relays

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
There's no selector relay shown, just the switch and the valve...
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel pump relays

Jcomeau85

Re: Fuel pump relays

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You're not looking at the correct diagram for ,1986, dual tanks, electric pumps, 7.5l

These things changed.
Go to the pages I pointed out and find the one that represents your truck.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel pump relays

viven44
This post was updated on .
I have deleted my posts as I wanted to make sure I confirm the 86' is the same as the '84 that I have. I may be giving wrong advice here. I did a quick glance and the 86' does look different. First off the tank selector switch on the dash for an 86' is 6 pin and the 84 I have is only 4 pin.

If you have the 86' wiring you will definitely want to look into the 86 EVTM that Jim and Bill pointed to.

I may be wrong but there may be no tank selector relay on the 86 (and Jim mentioned that as well above and it really does seem that way..)

No more multitasking for me and I'm humbled again that not everyone can keep up with Ford's list of changes and revisions
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project

Re: Fuel pump relays

Jcomeau85
Does the valve also supply power to the rear tank when switched?

Re: Fuel pump relays

viven44
This post was updated on .
No.. power to the tanks flow through the in-cab selector switch based on the EVTM. This is a major difference from the 84' wiring that I am used to.

As shown in the picture below from the 86' EVTM
- When the switch is in the front position, pin 2 on the switch connects internally to pin 1 to supply power to the front tank pump (pin 5 connects to pin 3 which grounds out the rear tank pump)
- when the switch is in the rear position, pin 2 on the switch connects to pin 4 to supply power to the rear tank pump (pin 5 connects to pin 6 which grounds out the front tank pump)

You should definitely make sure when the in-cab switch is switched between front and rear tanks that you hear the frame mounted selector valve operate. It should be a small "clunk" as Bill described. Have someone sit in the cab and you can be under the truck to see if the selector is actually doing something.

You have all the wiring diagrams now. You need to get busy and creative with a jumper wire as Jim said and see where the link is broken.

Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project

Re: Fuel pump relays

viven44
Thanks for being patient with me. I was completely off-base on this one with knowledge from 84' wiring diagram.
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project

Re: Fuel pump relays

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm not here to chew anybody's head off.

I may come off as gruff because of how autistic I am, but I don't try to hide any of that.
 I do the best I can, on a phone and about a half hour sleep per night.
Please don't feel that I'm targeting you, Vivek!  🙂
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel pump relays

Jcomeau85
All good.  You guys are great!! What’s a way I can test the switch with a volt meter?

Re: Fuel pump relays

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The dash switch, or the switch valve?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel pump relays

Jcomeau85
Sorry.  Dash switch

Re: Fuel pump relays

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Okay, give me a minute, because it's hard to Juggle pages and photos into a post from my phone....  👍
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
12