Gary's "Nothing Special" Moab trip

Re: Gary's "Nothing Special" Moab trip

Nothing Special
One word of warning I've heard regarding any of the on-line nav systems is to make sure you download the maps and everything you are planning to use.  Again, no personal experience, but apparently they have a lot of functionality using maps on-line, so you don't need to take the time or memory to download them.  Until you are somewhere out of cell service and all of that functionality goes away.  Not a problem with the app, just make sure you're ready to use it off-line if needed.  Fins 'N Things and Hells Revenge are practically in town, and Sevenmile Rim is pretty close, but Top of the World and Shafer are a bit more remote and might have spotty coverage.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins

Re: Gary's "Nothing Special" Moab trip

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I've heard the same thing so I plan on downloading maps for all of the trails we've discussed.  And then if we come up with others I can download them off the wifi at the hotel.  My iPhone has 256 Gb of storage, of which I've used 79, so I should have plenty of room.

Probably won't get to that until after the trip to Sugar Creek Loop this week, but as soon as that trip is over, and assuming we don't find problems needing correcting, I'll be downloading maps, checking out what tools and gear I have loaded, etc.  In other words, getting ready!

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: Gary's "Nothing Special" Moab trip

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
I'll try OnX in the iPhone with it paired to the Sony head unit.  Hopefully I'll get turn-by-turn directions.  If so I'm thinking of going with a Magsafe mount like this one, which will put my iPhone exactly where the Garmin has been by using the ball already mounted to the floor.  That way we can use OnX for the trails and Google or Apple maps for on-roading.

Gary, when I equipped Big Bro for his Big Tour, I installed my iPhone with a solid arm and "clamp" style support.
I am wondering about the "magnet" style support, while driving on trails or gravel roads with heavy vibration.

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.

Re: Gary's "Nothing Special" Moab trip

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jeff - You have a good point as I don't know for sure that the magnet will hold.  I'll have to think about that.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: Gary's "Nothing Special" Moab trip

Nothing Special
Getting back to the packing list, we've talked about recovery gear and tools.  Another category might be called personal gear.

You've already mentioned two things I was going to suggest.  Camp chairs are a great idea.  It took a little while for me to figure that out, but we always bring them now.  Nothing big and heavy that might not be worth getting out and setting up, just something light and simple.  And you mentioned a canopy.  As I said, I was going to suggest that, but it's not something we bring.  But if Janey shouldn't be out in the sun, and if you have something that's easy enough to set up that you'll use it, it might be well worth having.  We usually find a shady place to stop for lunch, but that's not always available in Moab.

And that brings up the next thing.  Lunch.  Sevenmile Rim and Top of the World especially are pretty long days.  We won't need to leave until after having time for breakfast, and we'll be back in time for dinner.  But lunch will be on the trail (probably on all trail days).  We keep it simple: sandwiches, some cookies or chips, maybe some carrots.  But I've seen people bring a propane stove to make hot dogs or burgers (or hot dogs that look like burgers ).  "Manifold meals" are another fun trail lunch if you're into that.  That can be as simple as putting a can of Chef Boyardee ravioli on an exhaust manifold for a hot lunch, or it can be something more gourmet in a couple layers of tin foil.  Your call, but we'll be keeping our lunch simple.

Beverages are another thing.  I've heard people recommend 1 gallon of water per person per day.  I might regret this if I ever need to walk out in the desert, but I usually bring closer to 1/2 gallon per person, and that's not necessarily all water.  I know water is the best for hydration, but we usually include some Dr. Pepper and Mountain Dew.  But bring what you want to drink, and bring quite a bit, it is hot and dry in Moab.

Food and drink bring up the subject of... shall we say used food and drink.  Restrooms aren't usually available, so plan accordingly.  I won't go into any more detail on this one.

A first aid kit is a really good idea.  Someone like a retired Navy corpsman might suggest a lot more, but honestly, about 99% of the first aid needs I've ever seen on the trail could be dealt with using some Band-Aids.  Antiseptic ointment is probably a good idea, and in the unlikely event that a Band-Aid isn't big enough, a few gauze pads and some tape wouldn't be bad to have (and the tape could be the electrical tape or duct tape from the tool bag).

Clothes are what you'll be comfortable in.  It'll probably be hot and dry, but a cold rain isn't out of the question.  Footwear is probably the main thing.  You can get by with just about anything, but we like something with stiffer soles so you don't feel every sharp rock you step on.  But you still want your feet to be comfortable just sitting around (which is pretty much what you're doing in the truck).  I like lightweight hiking boots.  Lesley has used them, but keeps looking for something lighter and more comfortable, so she bought a pair of trail shoes (kind of like running shoes with an almost-hiking boot sole) recently and will be trying them on this trip.

That's what I can come up with right now.  More might come to mind later.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins

Re: Gary's "Nothing Special" Moab trip

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good list.  Here's where we are on that:

Camp chairs: They'll be in.

Awning: Already sitting right beside Big Blue to be loaded when the time comes.

Lunch: We plan to pack a lunch each day, and had just talked about that yesterday.  Not sure if we'll buy a lunch or buy the makings and make our own.  But we'll get ice at the hotel to keep the lunch and drinks cold in the small ice chest we are bringing.

Drink: We plan to bring water and soft drinks.  We'll have water in the cab as well as bottles in the bed, and soft drinks & water in the little ice chest.

First aid kit: I have a commercial kit that is part of Big Blue as it is held by Velcro just inside the driver's door behind the seat.  It is pretty comprehensive.

Clothes: Janey has sun-protective clothing that takes out the vast majority of the sun's rays, as well as a hat and a special umbrella.  She may get out when the going gets rough but she will be protected.  I'll be in either jeans or cargo shorts and a tee shirt - one of which says Bullnose.  But we will probably also bring rain jackets, just in case.

Shoes: I have a pair of Merrell hiking shoes that have literally been around the world.  They aren't fancy but they get the job done.  Not sure what Janey will bring as she left her Merrells in Switzerland last fall as they were worn out.  I do have a pair of short boots I wear in the shop, but don't know that I need them on this trip.  Thoughts?

Fire extinguisher: It is beside the first aid kit.

We have company coming tomorrow, a church work day on Tuesday, and class to get ready for on Wednesday.  But hopefully on Thursday I'll get the new Sony stereo in and calibrate the AFR meter.  If, as I suspect, the calibration doesn't solve that problem I'll order a new O2 sensor.

At that point it'll be change plugs, check lubricant levels, grease the various parts, give the truck a bath, and start packing.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: Gary's "Nothing Special" Moab trip

Nothing Special
Gary Lewis wrote
....  I do have a pair of short boots I wear in the shop, but don't know that I need them on this trip.  Thoughts?....
I doubt you'll need them.

And good catch on the fire extinguisher.  I have one in Pluto just inside the driver's door.  It's always there, so I never think about it.

It's getting close!
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins

Re: Gary's "Nothing Special" Moab trip

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's what I was thinking, so I'll probably just bring the old Merrill hiking shoes and another pair of shoes, just in case.

Yes, it is getting CLOSE!  However, judging by how tired we were from the 2-day trip last week we might leave a day early to take it even slower.  Don't want to be worn out when we get there.