Ignition Coil Mounting

CFREEMAN969
I am finishing up my 351W swap into my 1985 F150, wondering where the canister type ignition coils were mounted on the non A/C 351W trucks. My 302 had the TFI coil and that bracket doesnt work well with my headers.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Ignition Coil Mounting

AmericanSavage
Mine is right up front, to the right of the Dis.  I have a 351M.
1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)

Re: Ignition Coil Mounting

mat in tn
I have used two different locations on the 351w. one is to mount it forward facing horizontally on the intake by the can strap bolted to the intake manifold holding it up off the intake, and another option is to mount it vertical in one of the end bolt holes of the cylinder head on the driver side near the distributor. this second option seems to keep it cooler as it is directly in the fan's airstream. if using the intake mount you should need a 3/8" bolt yet in the head it will need a 7/16"

Re: Ignition Coil Mounting

BigBrother-84
Is this useful?

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.

Re: Ignition Coil Mounting

mat in tn
great pics

Re: Ignition Coil Mounting

essmaker
Here is how I mounted mine with the stock bracket

Erik

1985 F150 4x4 - 351W, C6 - work in progress

Re: Ignition Coil Mounting

Ifitaintbroke
How do you like that AVS2?
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.

Re: Ignition Coil Mounting

Dabbler
Here is my 1984 5.8L (Canadian for 351W)

Grant. 1984 Shortbox 4x4 XLT. 5.8L 4V HO, C6, 9” rear. Alberta,Canada