Interior plastics paint?

Big6John
I’m planning on redoing my interior in my 86 f150 and I’m wondering how much paint I should order to do all the plastic in the cab. I’m going to use SEM paint.
Thanks
John
1986 f150 std cab long bed, 4.9L 300 inline 6, 4spd, 53k miles, 2 barrel carb, EFI split exhaust manifolds, HEI distributor, and much more to come!
Pack Rat a 1985 f150 inline 6 4spd, a/c,cruise, rusty parts truck

Re: Interior plastics paint?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What all are you doing?  And what size cab do you have?  Your signature doesn't say.

I used 1 1/2 cans to do a large 90's console from a Bronco inside and out.  And earlier I used 3 cans to do two door panels, the regular cab corner trim, and trim that goes along the headliner and windshield.

But you'll also need the prep stuff.  Have you read the instructions on our page at Documentation/Specifications/Interior Paint?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: Interior plastics paint?

essmaker
I did all of the trim around the headliner, plastic down the sides of the door opening, kick panels and used less than two cans.
Erik

1985 F150 4x4 - 351W, C6 - work in progress

Re: Interior plastics paint?

Big6John
It a standard cab with no headliner. I’ll be doing the door panels, dash pad, dash frame, a pillar trim, and the trim down by the vents. I’ll check the instructions out.
Thanks
1986 f150 std cab long bed, 4.9L 300 inline 6, 4spd, 53k miles, 2 barrel carb, EFI split exhaust manifolds, HEI distributor, and much more to come!
Pack Rat a 1985 f150 inline 6 4spd, a/c,cruise, rusty parts truck

Re: Interior plastics paint?

AmericanSavage
Big6John wrote
I’m planning on redoing my interior in my 86 f150 and I’m wondering how much paint I should order to do all the plastic in the cab. I’m going to use SEM paint.
Thanks
John
This is excellent, and I swear by SEM.  Use it per instructions--and use the prep, adhesion promoter, etc. before the paint. You will not go wrong.

There is a bit of this on my thread, but, you will use more cans than you think on the larger pieces. Some may need more than one coat.
1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)

Re: Interior plastics paint?

Big6John
They also sell a gallon of the color I’m going to use. Would I need one or two?
Thanks
1986 f150 std cab long bed, 4.9L 300 inline 6, 4spd, 53k miles, 2 barrel carb, EFI split exhaust manifolds, HEI distributor, and much more to come!
Pack Rat a 1985 f150 inline 6 4spd, a/c,cruise, rusty parts truck

Re: Interior plastics paint?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Are you going to use a paint gun?  I've been happy with the cans that Vinyl Pro sends me.

The cans say "Net wt. 5.46oz.  Net wt. when filled 12 oz."  So I assume that means there's 12 - 5.46 = 6.54 oz of paint.

And while at first blush it would appear that you can divide that 6.54 oz into the 128 oz in a gallon to get the # of cans in a gallon, that doesn't work.  The problem is that the 6.54 ounces are weight and the 128 ounces are fluid ounces.  Two very different things.

So I thought I'd figure it out but discovered it gets a lot more complex than I want to deal with.  One site says paint weighs from 7 to 12 lbs per gallon, and that range is huge.  So I gave up.

But if I was thinking about buying the paint in gallons I'd call Vinyl Pro and ask how many cans of paint that represents.  I think it is a LOT and you'd only need one.  But then you'd need a source of dry compressed air and a spray gun, plus all of the chemicals it takes to clean the gun when you are done.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: Interior plastics paint?

Big6John
Thanks Gary
We have all the tools to do it. I’ll have to give them a call.
1986 f150 std cab long bed, 4.9L 300 inline 6, 4spd, 53k miles, 2 barrel carb, EFI split exhaust manifolds, HEI distributor, and much more to come!
Pack Rat a 1985 f150 inline 6 4spd, a/c,cruise, rusty parts truck

Re: Interior plastics paint?

Ford F834
It makes a difference whether you are color changing any pieces or not. I like SEM products, but I did find that Napa red is slightly translucent. Covering red interior pieces looked great with prep and one or two light coats. Covering an off color piece required many, many coats…
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2

Re: Interior plastics paint?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good point, Jonathan.  I've only used SEM and it covers very well.  In fact on the red console I painted blue it was probably covered with two coats, but I put on four to make sure.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: Interior plastics paint?

Big6John
Everything is red except the dash which is tan. I’m either going with fire thorn red or Napa red. I did some calling around and a gallon is very hard to get and it would cost $800! I can get cans from my local paint shop for $25 a pop. I talked to sem and he said a gallon is around 32 cans.
I’ll probably pick up four cans to start with.
1986 f150 std cab long bed, 4.9L 300 inline 6, 4spd, 53k miles, 2 barrel carb, EFI split exhaust manifolds, HEI distributor, and much more to come!
Pack Rat a 1985 f150 inline 6 4spd, a/c,cruise, rusty parts truck

Re: Interior plastics paint?

Ford F834
Administrator
One tip I have for changing color to red…

The generic Duplicolor vinyl paints at Autozone are cheap but actually really durable. Their red is absolutely awful, raspberry vomit. But, it IS very opaque. I discovered that good prep, a base coat of the horrid Duplicolor red then top coated with SEM looked just as good as the Ford Canyon Red plastics refreshed with the SEM Napa red color. If the Firethorn red has translucent qualities, try the Duplicolor under it so you don’t have to use a ton of coats.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: Interior plastics paint?

Big6John
What are your guys thoughts on SEM clear coat over the paint/dye?
1986 f150 std cab long bed, 4.9L 300 inline 6, 4spd, 53k miles, 2 barrel carb, EFI split exhaust manifolds, HEI distributor, and much more to come!
Pack Rat a 1985 f150 inline 6 4spd, a/c,cruise, rusty parts truck

Re: Interior plastics paint?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've not used clear much.  Did on something as I have a can, but the guy at SEM said it wasn't required so I haven't been doing it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: Interior plastics paint?

BigBrother-84
Big6John wrote
What are your guys thoughts on SEM clear coat over the paint/dye?
I suppose it is matter of taste.
The original panels are more flat then shiny.
And touching for small repairs is certainly easier on flat paint.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.

Re: Interior plastics paint?

Ford F834
Big6John wrote
What are your guys thoughts on SEM clear coat over the paint/dye?
It really depends on why you want the clear coat. They sell a glossy one and a matte one. If you are wanting to increase or decrease the sheen, then yes, clear coat is the thing to do. If you have a bunch of parts with different amount of sheen and you want them to match, clear coating everything will help.

If you are just wanting to add protection then skip it. My experience is somewhat limited, but the pieces that I painted black for my ‘81 have held up amazingly well. It’s been six years and lots of abuse by grandkids and dogs yet it still wipes down and cleans up just as nice as when I painted it. This was the Autozone Duplicolor brand vinyl prep and paint, and SEM ‘sand free’ prep on the hard plastics.