PMGR starter upgrade

Frogger2662
Several years ago I upgraded to a pmgr starter. Still running the old style solenoid. Between the two cable's and a smaller terminal I do not have many threads holding the cable tight. Is there any reason why I could not run the large cables to a junction block on the fender? Then come from there to the solenoid with a smaller wire on the battery side.
1984 F150 Flareside
1992 stock 5.0 with edelbrock 4 barrel.
Dual exhaust.

Re: PMGR starter upgrade

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I run my starter cable directly from the+ battery terminal.....

Edit: photo for clarity.

 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: PMGR starter upgrade

Frogger2662
Straight from the battery to the starter? How do you energize the solenoid?
1984 F150 Flareside
1992 stock 5.0 with edelbrock 4 barrel.
Dual exhaust.

Re: PMGR starter upgrade

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In my case, I'm using a little 40A cube -Bosch style- relay in the tiny power distribution center that you see (aft of the battery)

I have high, low, fog light, horn and lighting relays.
A starter relay, that replaces the big Ford fender mounted relay. My PMGR is 40A to pull and 13A to hold.

Edit:  you can kinda see the HMEG fuse holder from the 3G screwed to the side of the box beneath my fingers.

 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: PMGR starter upgrade

Frogger2662
I was trying to avoid buying anything else. Allready have the junction block. I see no reason I cannot go straight to the starter with my two existing cables. Go from the block to the existing solenoid on the battery side with a smaller wire.
Am I thinking about this correctly?
1984 F150 Flareside
1992 stock 5.0 with edelbrock 4 barrel.
Dual exhaust.

Re: PMGR starter upgrade

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You can use any stud as a junction.

I don't understand what you mean by "smaller wire".
What gauge are you talking about?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: PMGR starter upgrade

Gary Lewis
Administrator
When my Cole Hersee smart battery isolator didn't have enough stud length for the wires I was using I bought one of these repair studs.  It screwed right on and gave me more stud for the wires.  Don't know if it'll work for you.  But you could always put another junction block somewhere else, although then you'll need a jumper to it.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: PMGR starter upgrade

Frogger2662
Never thought of something like that. Good idea. If i was to use a jumper wire what size/guage would I need. Wondering how much current the solinoid requires to hold it engaged not counting starter amp draw?
1984 F150 Flareside
1992 stock 5.0 with edelbrock 4 barrel.
Dual exhaust.

Re: PMGR starter upgrade

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think Jim is the one that recommended that thing to me, but it wasn't my idea.

As for the relay draw, the one I have on the bench pulls 3.5A to engage.  But I'm confused as to how you would be wiring this, and I know Jim is.  Please enlighten us.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: PMGR starter upgrade

ArdWrknTrk
I said above...... 40A to pull and 13A to hold.

Gary has the data sheet from my starter posted in the PMGR upgrade section.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: PMGR starter upgrade

Frogger2662
I will be bypassing the fender mounted solenoid complety with the  large starter cable going to the starter. There will be no large cables attached to the fender mounted sloenoid. I will still have to supply power on the bat side of the solenoid to engage the fender mounted solenoid when I turn on the ignition. Sorry for the confusion. I sometime have problems putting my ideas to words.
1984 F150 Flareside
1992 stock 5.0 with edelbrock 4 barrel.
Dual exhaust.

Re: PMGR starter upgrade

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You need to remember that all the power to the cab and the ignition everything with those fusible links that attach to the battery hot side of the starter fender relay....

Don't skimp out on an 18-in cable.
You can get one intended for a tractor, or something like that..
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: PMGR starter upgrade

Frogger2662
Ok. Thanks. I think I have a plan. I will let you know how it works out.