1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

Bullnose Gator
Good afternoon,

I recently got a 1986 F250 4wd, manual, 7.5L.  The rear fuel pump/sending unit wasn't working properly when I got it, but it read 1/4 tank.  I used the front tank and when i switched it back to the rear tank it wasn't registering on the fuel gauge at all.  I pulled the bed off (I am restoring the frame) and plugged the rear pump/sending unit into the front tank's and it registered full when I lifted the float arm up and I can hear the pump turn on.  I assume the issue is the tank selector, which I am replacing, but I am also going to replace both pumps and sending units while I have the bed off.

My problem/question is, I can't find a sending unit for the rear 19 gallon tank like the one that was in there, any ideas where I can get one?  If not, will i need to replace the tank with one i can find a sending unit for, or are there other ways to go?

I've attached a couple of pictures of the pump/sending unit, if that helps.  Thanks.

-Jeremy
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
1986 F250 XLT Lariat Supercab 4x4 Manual 460

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jeremy - Welcome to the Bullnose Forum!  Glad you joined.

However, you probably missed the email you were sent that asked you to go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and post an intro there.  The reason being that we hold everyone to those guidelines so wanted to ensure you have a chance to read them.  So, can you assure me that you have?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

Bullnose Gator
Sorry for breaking the rules right out of the gate, Gary.  I've read it, posted in the new member section and added a signature.  Let me know if I missed anything, thanks.
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
1986 F250 XLT Lariat Supercab 4x4 Manual 460

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

Gary Lewis
Ok, you have posted in the NMSH folder, so you've at least had a chance to see the guidelines.

On the fuel sender, go to Documentation/Fuel Systems/Fuel System Part Numbers/Fuel Senders & Pumps in the menu.  There you'll be able to determine the part number for the right sender for your truck.

But, you may have a hard time finding the sender by part number.  If so, go to the Rock Auto site, which has one of the best catalogs around, and you can get the sending unit part number from several vendors.  You don't have to buy from RA, but at least their catalog is a big help.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

Bullnose Gator
Thanks for the help.
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
1986 F250 XLT Lariat Supercab 4x4 Manual 460

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

grumpin
I was not able to find one for my truck sometime back.

I have seen P/N E5TZ-9H307-B at Jeff’s Bronco Graveyard. Their item number 30381A. I do not see one today.

I should have jumped on it but wasn’t entirely sure it was correct, and I can’t remember why. Must have been another might work, my notes do not say where I got that 9H307 number.

I have some notes that say, Spectra FG33B might be right for the rear tank. Also, Liland Global SUFD46 might be right. These are big mights!

A search turned up nothing. I hope you find one. Let us know how you do.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

kramttocs
Administrator
Yours looks nice and clean so it if all tested as working, I'd keep using it but look for a spare over time.

Dane - looks like the B is for the 302 EFI although as you said, maybe it will work? The 460 is F (assuming steel tank).

I've had an ebay alert for one of those for a couple years and I don't recall ever getting a hit.
For that alert I do sometimes get notifications of Airtex E2484 so maybe if just the pump goes out, that would be a suitable replacement?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

Bullnose Gator
Thanks, it looks like RA has one that could work.  I'm thinking of giving it a try.  I know the old ones don't look too bad, but the sealing plates on both are heavily rusted, so I'm thinking it is probably best to replace them while I have the bed off.
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL

Arizona

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

kramttocs
Administrator
What is the number for the one on RA?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

85lebaront2
I will add my $0.02 here, you have the hot fuel handling package. I found a Carquest replacement pump only. Everyone seems to show only the plastic rear tank which I have never even seen one. I am going to look, I may have a pump and sender left over from mine when I switched to MAF/SEFI.

Carquest (Advance) PN is: E2510428.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

Bullnose Gator
On RA it's SPECTRA PREMIUM FG114A {#E6UZ9H307H}.  It has 4 terminal pins.
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
1986 F250 XLT Lariat Supercab 4x4 Manual 460

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

grumpin
Bullnose Gator wrote
On RA it's SPECTRA PREMIUM FG114A {#E6UZ9H307H}.  It has 4 terminal pins.
I sure hope this works!
Arizona

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

Bullnose Gator
I got the part from RA.  It is almost identical, until you get to the fuel pump housing.  The original sending unit holds the fuel pump at a 90 degree angle, straight down.  The new one appears to be 10-15 degrees more angled outward.

Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
1986 F250 XLT Lariat Supercab 4x4 Manual 460

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

grumpin
That’s close!

I would be tempted to bend the new one a little bit, but maybe better to leave well enough alone.

Proof is in the pudding!

Must be cliche day somewhere.
Arizona

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

Bullnose Gator
I am very tempted to bend it too! But I'll probably be too worried about it causing problems and not mess with it.  Looks like I'll be keeping the old one and just replacing the fuel pump.

So when the rear sending unit fails one day, will I be able to replace the tank with a tank that is compatible with a sending unit that isn't impossible to find?
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
1986 F250 XLT Lariat Supercab 4x4 Manual 460

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

Tony69
so 3 years later I'm looking for that same part... I tired typing in the same part # that you provided but it seems like they changed it and a different unit pops up. Does anyone know what sending unit is gonna fit the rear tank?
Tony, the Polish guy.
1986 F250 superCab XLT lariat, 460, dual tanks, Holley 4160
1985 F150 superCab XL, 351 H.O., dual tanks, edelbroken 1906
2002 E150 XLT, 5.4 triton

Re: 1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

mat in tn
did you install the one that you got three years ago? if not, now might be the time. the truth is that ford is not making the parts for 40 year old trucks. the senders do not read the same ranges and the fit may not be 100%. if it does not interfere like hit the bottom then I don't see a real problem. myself, I would just "tune " it to my tank. a good pipe bending pr of pliers can be a great help.