Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

1 ... 345678910

Re: Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

dirtymac
Also, my upgraded volt/ammeter arrived while we were gone.
Will
1982 F250 4x4 400/C6 Dana60

Re: Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You should be ready to do the deed. Here’s hoping it goes well.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

ArdWrknTrk
I could show you some incredible road rash from when I flipped my GSXR 1100 at 165.  🤣
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

dirtymac
We're still alive lol.  Work has been crazy and I've been spending the spare time getting ready for a roadtrip in two weeks for the eclipse.  Unfortunately, it looks like we won't be driving the truck.  I'm still waiting on the shop to finish the transmission rebuild and some other minor stuff.
Will
1982 F250 4x4 400/C6 Dana60

Re: Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

BigBrother-84
dirtymac wrote
My original plan was to get something around 160amp because that is what I have in my current tow vehicle (2015 Jeep Wrangler Willis).  After some discussions on here and with my brother, I think 100amp will be more than sufficient for a while.
What did you finally decide to install, 100A?
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.

Re: Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

85lebaront2
FWIW, a 1994/95 Taurus 3.8L has a 130 amp alternator that fits the trucks very nicely. It will have a serpentine pulley but a V-belt one will fit.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Re: Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The difference between that and a 92-3 3.8 V-6 is in the adjuster bolt.
One is threaded 8x1.25 and the other is unthreaded for a clamping bolt & nut....

This is why I say tap (OR Helicoil) the hole 3/8-16 and use your existing bolt that takes a 9/16 wrench.
You're under there trying to keep tension.
You don't have TWO hands to clamp a bolt & nut....
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

BigBrother-84
Bill and Jim, I started a new thread about Big Brother’s 3G conversion.
85lebaront2 wrote
FWIW, a 1994/95 Taurus 3.8L has a 130 amp alternator that fits the trucks very nicely. It will have a serpentine pulley but a V-belt one will fit.
Maybe you can develop this idea?
130A isn’t my goal, but who knows…
Since I do not want to highjack this thread, see you there!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.

Re: Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

ArdWrknTrk
Where along the track are you headed?   🌑

 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

dirtymac
Heber Springs, Arkansas
Will
1982 F250 4x4 400/C6 Dana60

Re: Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

dirtymac
If things go well, I'm going to start back on the alternator project this weekend.  The truck is back from the transmission shop (shifting much smoother now and no more leaks).
Will
1982 F250 4x4 400/C6 Dana60

Re: Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

ArdWrknTrk
Glad you (and the truck) are back Will!

How was your view of the eclipse?
Here in coastal CT there was broken clouds and haze, but it did get kinda dark around 15:00 local time.

What's your next step?

Edit: Jeff from Quebec is doing a 3G as well.
You might glean some good tips from his thread....
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, glad you are back. 👍
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

BigBrother-84
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Edit: Jeff from Quebec is doing a 3G as well.
You might glean some good tips from his thread....
I’m still collecting all required parts I’ll need before starting the swap.  I got the 3G, but I have to first rebuild the C610 connector, plus I didn’t receive the ‘voltified’ Ammeter.
I hoped I had all for this weekend, but seems it will take a bit longer.
At the time I get all I need, I’ll proceed.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.

Re: Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
There's been a LOT of discussion back and forth in your thread, Jeff.
While Will seems more focused, or perhaps doesn't have the language difficulties that you do.

At any rate, tangents make for discussion of minutiae, and there's a whole bunch of details over in your thread...  💡
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

dirtymac
The eclipse was perfect.  The weather was back and forth until just a few hours before everything kicked off but then cleared up.  We had about 4 minutes and 8 seconds of totality with clear skies.  Could not have asked for more from a tripped we planned immediately following the 2017 eclipse

Today I'm going to catch up on the comments and drag all the parts I have back together to see where I left off at.  I'm hoping to get the new alternator dry-fit and the new wiring worked out.  Not sure how far things will go just yet.
Will
1982 F250 4x4 400/C6 Dana60

Re: Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

dirtymac
Can someone point me to the other thread?
Will
1982 F250 4x4 400/C6 Dana60

Re: Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

dirtymac
Glad to be back even if work is still keeping me too busy :)
Will
1982 F250 4x4 400/C6 Dana60

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: One-Wire Alternator Questions

dirtymac
Got it! Thanks Gary!
Will