Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

123456 ... 10

Re: One-Wire Alternator Questions

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Probably straight from the alternator (mine is)

But with a 1G the wiring was different between the regulator and alternator depending if you had an ammeter or idiot lights.

You already know someone hacked up the choke wiring to install a relay (wrongly)
Who knows what -if anything- is left of the old setup?
Bill recently posted a good photo of a Motorcraft choke cap.
It has a brown (Bakelite?) Oval on the side with a single bullet sticking out.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: One-Wire Alternator Questions

dirtymac
I do have an ammeter and as far as I know, no idiot light.

This pic was from before the carb work.

Will
1982 F250 4x4 400/C6 Dana60

Re: One-Wire Alternator Questions

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Right.
So maybe you should look at the appropriate EVTM to see how the charge wiring differs between the two.
If you're going 3G or one-wire all that's going to have to change anyway.

And, I have to say that does look like a factory choke cap, but I've never seen one with a spade at the edge.  πŸŒ
Perhaps Bill can fill me in on what carbs/trucks came like that?
I really hate to have or give bad information.   Sorry
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: One-Wire Alternator Questions

dirtymac
I'm definitely going to a 3G.  If the weather is nice tomorrow I'm going to pull the alternator and have a closer look at the wires on it.
Will
1982 F250 4x4 400/C6 Dana60

Re: One-Wire Alternator Questions

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator

Tomorrow for me is the only day without rain before it freezes up and changes to 'wintry mix' so although no sun, it starts raining at 1AM Sunday right through to Monday morning.
Do you know how much I love working overnights????   πŸ€ͺ

Off to Horrid Fate for more tools I'll never use first thing.
I hope to get my destroyed pinion yoke off, seal and crush collar replaced, gear oil changed (no drain on a 10.25)  the cover glued back on and driveshaft back in so I can have RWD again.

Wish me luck. πŸ˜†
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: One-Wire Alternator Questions

dirtymac
Good luck!
Will
1982 F250 4x4 400/C6 Dana60

Re: One-Wire Alternator Questions

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
.

Thanks!   I hope your wiring investigation goes well, as well.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: One-Wire Alternator Questions

dirtymac
I spent some time this morning trying to map out the relay and other changes in my situation.

First, there is no stator wire connected to my alternator.  It has been removed completely.  If i understand the schematics, on all but the 4.9L, the stator wire went to the choke and that was it.

Second, I can't find the info on my current electric choke but I'm pretty sure I had found that it was supposed to get 7v.  It appears to be getting 12v currently.

I have a green wire coming off the Voltage Regulator port labeled S.  It goes into the bundle that connects the C610 to the alternator.    This added relay has been jumpered into that green wire before it goes into the bundle.  I'm not sure if its the same green wire going back to the C610 or not.  I'm afraid to open this bundle anymore than I have now.

I still need to clean some of these wires up a bit so I can read them.

Will
1982 F250 4x4 400/C6 Dana60

Re: One-Wire Alternator Questions

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't see a regulator connection labeled "S", but the one labeled "I" in the EVTM goes to the "indicator switch".  So I could see that one getting labeled "S" by someone, and we've seen these inconsistencies in the documentation before.

And there's only one green wire in the schematic going to the regulator, which should be the LG/R wire going to C610.  And it would make sense if someone tapped into it to pull in a relay as it is hot in Run.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: One-Wire Alternator Questions

ArdWrknTrk
This is why I said to go to the EVTM and compare/contrast the setup for ammeter v idiot lights.

Let me
Since my best laid plans are SNAFU

 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: One-Wire Alternator Questions

dirtymac
The S label I am referring to is on the physical voltage regular connector.  I'm going to try and clean these wires up a bit more so I can read the rest of the colors.
Will
1982 F250 4x4 400/C6 Dana60

Re: One-Wire Alternator Questions

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's interesting.  I don't doubt you at all, but I have what I'm sure is an original regulator connector still on the C610 harness I'm playing with and it doesn't have any terminal designations on it that I can find.  Just the ID# of D8ZB-14489-AA.  Where are your terminal designations?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: One-Wire Alternator Questions

dirtymac
Ok I have things cleaned up a bit better.  The markings are actually on the Voltage Regulator, I (no wire), A (two yellow wires), S (green?) and F (a striped wire).

The wire coming out of the port labeled S goes into the bundle and on it's way my relay is tied in.  There is another green wire coming out of the bundle and going to C610.

I'm not color blind but I also don't know what age and heat have done to these things.  I wouldn't call that wire light green though.

The yellow wire attached to the shunt goes a good distance on mine.  The loop is actually only about 6" away from where the other wires connect to the alternator.

Will
1982 F250 4x4 400/C6 Dana60

Re: One-Wire Alternator Questions

dirtymac
I think I'm going to replace the choke cap.  I don't trust it or the relay the previous owner installed.

I have only found 12v choke caps -- some with a thermostat of sorts.

I've read through multiple threads where you mention these will work with the stator connection but that the choke may not pull off as quick.  I also do not have the exaust pre-heat hooked up  I also saw that you mentioned hooking a relay up with the stator, is that right?

These were posts from 2017 mind you.
Will
1982 F250 4x4 400/C6 Dana60

Re: One-Wire Alternator Questions

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I would stay away from choke caps with a thermostat in them as I don't know how they work.  But ones without thermostats were used by GM for decades with no problems.

As for a 12v cap running off the stator, it will work but it isn't perfect.  Takes a long time to come off and, therefore, you want to set them so they don't go on as far as they might otherwise.  Meaning you need to set them leaner than you would.

So I'd use a relay that is pulled in by the stator and then power the 12v choke with full battery power.  The stator easily pulls in a standard Bosch relay, so you would have power to the choke only when the engine is running.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: One-Wire Alternator Questions

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary, can you pull Will a 351HO schematic?
It's sleeting here and the roads are claiming victims continually.
It's not fun being on the same blind corner that just took out a car with traffic rushing past. 😨
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: One-Wire Alternator Questions

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - Please be safe!

Will - Here's how Ford did it.  You can see that the relay is pulled in via the stator and the W/Bk wire, and gets its power from the starter relay and a fuse link.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: One-Wire Alternator Questions

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thanks!
I'm trying to thaw my hands and the icy wet stream that ran down the back of my neck.

I wish I had dry clothes and a place to change right now.

The "adventure" gets old real fast when you're past 60.  πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: One-Wire Alternator Questions

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We have friends that camped out in their own backyard at 0F to test their new tent. At 76, if you get me that close to my bed you won’t be able to stop me.