Fuel gauge not working-again

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

Ifitaintbroke
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

viven44
Thanks but that isn't my schematic by the way. I'm not that good to come up with that on my own. I can follow such a schematic but couldn't come up with one about 1/4 of that.

On my Bullnose, those safeties are still place.

By the way, I'm a moron because at the moment my Bronco doesn't have any safety whilst running an electric pump (besides a manual switch under the column which won't be very useful in an accident situation if the driver is disabled). Once I get the oil pressure all figured out, I will include that safety.
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I meant to say, the type of moron who eliminates them because "We don't need no stinkin safeties! It's just another point of failure"

Failsafe is a thing for a reason
And if you like napalm, be my guest.
Just don't let your idiocy burn a passenger or bystander to a crisp   💡
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

85lebaront2
Chrysler used a two terminal NO switch in the oil pressure tap on the carbureted 2.2L engines to control the choke heater. It can easily be adapted to shut off the fuel pump. The 460s with the hot fuel handling package have a similar switch at the gauge sender tee.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

viven44
This 460 came from an 86 F250 which used the hot fuel handling system so I do have that switch with me. That is why I called myself a moron for the time being because I know I'm not doing the "right thing". I know how that system works very well but still chose not to do it

Currently that Tee is housing the cluster oil pressure gauge sending unit and a mechanical oil pressure gauge... But here soon one day when the bronco is ready for daily driving, I will remove the cluster gauge sending unit and use that port for oil pressure switch. The fuel pump relay will be triggered via this switch, so I can get rid of that on-off switch I have under the steering wheel right now. I will use a push-button trigger to prime the fuel pump and help get the truck started after which the oil pressure switch will take over.
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk

 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
If you look at the diagram, the pump gets direct (prime) power while cranking through a bk/pk wire....
(I think it's black and pink, I'm not looking, from the reply window )
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

viven44
I am all for factory methodologies in about 95% of the stuff but I don't like that specific aspect much. Just earlier today I started Big Blue 2WD after it sat for a bit over a week. Took a lot of cranking to get it to fill the fuel bowl.
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The answer is to drive your truck more often.💡

Jeff says he gets that from Big Brother, as it sits on the farm all week while he uses his plug-in to get to & from the office.

South Georgia.

South Georgia.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
Gary has a thread (of course! )

Go to www.technoversions.com first, and confirm that it will do what you need.

Then give me an address and I will take it out of my truck and put it in a flat rate box.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
I was responding to Viven, and his schematic.

I have a mechanical pump too.
But I obviously don't have any Hot Fuel wiring at all.
Just the senders wired through my 6-port switch valve.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

Ifitaintbroke
I greatly appreciate that Jim! Let me do the homework first.

Plus, I need at least 1 new sender, so I need to figure that out too.

South Georgia.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Pay it forward....

If it will fix your problem, it was meant to be. 💡

South Georgia.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Maybe you can cover the postage?

I'm still scraping to get all the parts together and fix my axle.
Driving on pavement with hubs locked is brutal on the front U-joints

South Georgia.

South Georgia.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Or Venmo, whatever works for you.

But let me get done with what I'm in the middle of, before I go out to the truck and use those tools to open the dash and remove it.

I'll try to get it sent on Monday.
When it's in your hands and you have it working, you can pay, alright?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
12345