Fuel gauge not working-again

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

Ifitaintbroke
https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=926/category_id=184/mode=prod/prd926.htm
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thank you Bradley.
I will check it out -later- when I get my BP back down, cause I feel like I'm ready to have a stroke.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I will check it out -later- when I get my BP back down, cause I feel like I'm ready to have a stroke.
NO!  Please take it easy, Jim!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sitting long hours in the rollback is causing edema in my legs & feet.
I literally had to get longer laces for Easter!

 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm having a hard time seeing "new laces" as being a fun Easter gift.  Chocolate, yes.  Other candy, maybe.  But laces?

Take care, Jim.  In all seriousness, this sounds ... serious.

South Georgia.

South Georgia.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yes.

Hot Fuel Handling was an option.  Probably dependent on the DSO where the truck would be sold.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

85lebaront2
Administrator
Correct, hot fuel handling package was primarily on trucks sold in the Southern parts of the country with 460 and AC mostly on ambulance conversions. The front fuel tank is very close to the left exhaust pipe where it crosses over. The idle is raised when sitting and loading to help the big Leece-Neville alternator power the ambulance body equipment. The result was boiling the fuel in the front tank, to the point it would overflow out the filler neck.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

South Georgia.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

viven44
This post was updated on .
My truck (Big Blue 2WD) came from Canada, and the other one (parts truck) from California, both had hot fueling option. My Canadian trucks distributor advance permanently hooked up to manifold vacuum to increase idle (?) didn't realize that was hot fuel related (?). It was likely a service vehicle as it is barely equipped on creature comforts (no AC, no power windows, no cruise control) but has hot fuel handling and additional transmission and oil coolers.

I think we are talking more about regional likelihood / averages here.
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Canadian truck's are different (even imports from Ontario assembly, are different than those sold there)
Things like no EGR on 300's.
Etc....

My truck is a lowly "Custom" but 37 years later, I'm grateful there isn't more 'features' to screw up
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

85lebaront2
Administrator
Jim, it depended on where they were ordered from Darth was built in Oakville Ontario and has a 2 as the first VIN character. He had full US spec emissions and hot fuel handling package as he was sold in Memphis Tennesee.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Right, that's what I said.
Canadian built, doesn't mean Canadian spec.

South Georgia.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's only sheet metal.
Can't you rig some type of caliper and measure at the point where you intend to put the sender?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

Ifitaintbroke
Jim... I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of that. Let me see if I can make something...

One thought on these senders, the longest you can get them is 11". The rear tank is deeper than that at all points as far as I can tell. If the  bottom of the sender was say, 1" above the floater of the tank, all that would mean is that I would have a small reserve of fuel after the gauge reads empty- and I'm fine with that.

South Georgia.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Do you have two framing squares?

You can nest one inside the other, and while you won't get out to 22", it is easy to read where the inside square lands on the leg of the outside square.

I use this technique to measure round columns, in place, all the time.

A framing square and a 12" square chunk of plywood works too.

South Georgia.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Measure the outside.

"It's only sheet metal"

Can you not measure the pinch weld and subtract?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
12345