Fuel gauge not working-again

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

Ifitaintbroke
 Greatly appreciated, Jim! And I'm praying for your sister.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.

South Georgia.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
If you understand what it means you will be praying that she is at peace in the end.

I will check my spam folder....
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

Gary Lewis
I emailed the two of you.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Got it and replied all.

Bradley, I'll send you my cell, so we can text if need be.
You give me a proper delivery address.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ironically, I may have had it mis-wired all along!

This is what happens when you get cocksure.

Anyway, it's out now, and I'm going to enjoy 5/8 is empty and way below empty is full!  🙂

Also, my parking brake switch was bad, so I need to find a new one.  💡
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!  I've wondered why mine is rock solid and yours isn't.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Perhaps, because I'm an idiot!?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We know that's not true.  But apparently you "accidentally" miswired it?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

viven44
Might I guess it was perhaps a case of "confirmation bias"?
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
I can be quite dense.

I think I followed convention on the board, and as you see I had 'random' colours of wire.

I will do my best to get to the Post Office on Monday.

Happy Easter, to everyone who celebrates!  🐇🐤🥚
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

viven44
I filled up the bronco all the way today. 3/4 way is all the gauge will read when full. I must have tested the gauge with a 10ohm/73ohm resistor before painting the needle and installing it. I have 2 spare clusters that I could have picked a good fuel gauge from. Oh well, as long as we keep track of miles and we know what is full, and empty, who needs a perfect gauge, right ? Besides you have 2 fuel tanks so you are even more set.
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Does empty read right on E?
Because you can adjust them.
There's a little rack & pinion type thing inside.

Could the gauge be accounting for additional resistance in the harness between itself and the sender?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

viven44
OK that's good to know. I don't remember where empty was, but it appears to be an offset to the left. Didn't know it was adjustable. I will need to use a 10ohm and 73 ohm resistor on the harness at the sender to calibrate the gauge.
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You could just ohm out the loop from dashboard ground to gauge wire at the big plug for the cluster.

If you still have a full tank it will tell you exactly what the instrument is seeing.💡
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

viven44
This post was updated on .
OK I think there's a story. I probed the posts on the sending unit using alligator probes and I measured 16.6ohms, so my understanding is that the tank is close to full, but not really full. Maybe I didn't pump it all the way or perhaps this is just where the sending unit truly reads when full.

I wanted to see how the gauge's calibration is... I like to tie resistors on bolts that are approx. the same diameter as the sending unit posts and insert them into the harness.

Here is 78 ohms on the gauge (68+10ohms)

Here is 13.3 ohms on the gauge (10+3.3ohms)
10 ohms would clearly read full

Here is 16.6 ohms on the gauge (10 + 2*3.3 ohms) --- matches what I exactly saw with the harness on the sending unit

The gauge appears to be more accurate on the empty side (Which is good). I guess 16.6 ohms is a 25% increase over 13.3 ohms so it makes sense that the gauge has dropped a quarter of the way. Clearly, a 3.3ohm difference on the empty side (>70ohms) is much less significant so the gauge's accuracy would be similarly better.

I will need to see how good things are on the empty side as far as sending unit resistance. Maybe I should have figured that out when the gas tank was actually empty
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Which, again, means you need to drive it more.

I don't think the senders are truly linear.

Though these two newer tanks are the first time I've had to resort to Bullnose senders.
The "one year wonder" Bricknose mechanical pump senders are unobtainium now.

The original senders in my Bricknose were a little weird below a half tank, until it got down to 1/8 or so.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

Re: Fuel gauge not working-again

viven44
I love one year wonders! The 1980 I had was a treat to find parts for.

With the sender in the tank now I’m stuck with whatever it is. Adds to the “quirks”.

Hopefully this info is useful in this thread.

South Georgia.